226ers

Monday 28 October 2013

RUBEN RUZAFA - TWICE XTERRA WORLD CHAMPION!! (with video)


The Athlete:
Back in 2008, as a professional mountain biker, unknown to the triathlon community, Rubén Ruzafa surprised the entire world by becoming the XTERRA World Champion. Now, five years later, Rubén has returned to Maui as a professional triathlete to consolidate his status as the world’s best: the new XTERRA World Champion! 


The Spaniard (31) is the youngest ever XTERRA World Champion who has never finished an XTERRA event off the podium. Having made his come-back in the XTERRA Spain National Championships in June this year, he was one of the main contenders for this year’s title.


The Race:
Ruzafa came out of water nearly three minutes behind the top swimmers, a reasonable time difference to make up on his strongest discipline, the mountain bike segment. He completed the 32 km MTB course in barely one and a half hours and entered T2 45” ahead of the chasers. It was a matter of keeping the advantage during the 9,5 km run but not happy with this, Ruzafa showed his amazing talent and opened a bigger difference (1’38”) to Alan, Chacón, Stolz and Asa Shaw. He crossed the mythical Hawaiian finish line in first position (2h34’34”), exhausted, smiling and pointing both arms up to the sky in tribute to his former team mate and friend Iñaki Lejarreta (killed last winter while training) and his father (who passed away due to cancer two years ago).


Becoming the Champion: (Rubén his own words):
“Everything turned out perfect, without problems. I really have had a smooth race in all segments. During the swim I stayed in a group, losing the expected time. I felt really good on the bike, powerful and not taking risks. After I passed Allen and Chacón, the last long downhill still remained but I managed to reach the transition alone. However, the run had been really tough; I set short goals and tried to keep my stride. I only really felt I was winning when reaching the beach, from there onwards it was a about enjoying it!” 


“I cannot describe my feelings when I reached the finish line. I have been dreaming of a new victory in the XTTERRA World Championship since 2008. During the last years my performance hasn’t been as expected, together with some bad moments that life brings you. To me this victory is a great reward but it isn’t only mine, it’s also all of those of you who helped and supported me at the low point. Thanks to each one of you who have helped to push me to the finish line”. 

A Sensational Season:
Ruzafa has had a sensational season, having won XTERRA Spain, XTERRA Berga and XTERRA Germany, second in XTERRA France and third in XTERRA USA. He has also secured more podiums by being the ITU Cross Triathlon runner-up and Spanish Cross Triathlon champion, as well as third place in the middle distance national championship.


XTERRA SPAIN CONGRATULATES RUBEN RUZAFA –YOU ARE THE PRIDE OF SPAIN AND A TRUE CHAMPION

WE SALUTE YOU!

THIS IS XTERRA!
LIVE MORE / VIVE MAS
www.xterraspain.com
www.xterraspaintour.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment