226ers

Wednesday 5 February 2014

CEDRIC LASSONDE – XTERRA IS ABOUT HAVING FUN (with videos)


Cedric Lassonde knows how to have fun and enjoy life. This explains why he has chosen music and sport as his two main passions in life. Thus, when the DJ from London is not entertaining the crowds on music, he’s sure to be chasing after his next adrenaline fix – racing XTERRA somewhere on the planet.

No wonder then that Cedric found himself out in Cieza last year to line up for the first XTERRA of the 2013 season – XTERRA Spain. Naturally Cedric had loads of fun out in the heat and dust of the “Spanish desert” (as he refers to Cieza), including his customary pre-ride crash, which left him with several stitches on his elbow!

However, a little blood on the dust did nothing to curb his enthusiasm for the race.

Here, Cedric tells us about his XTERRA adventure in the “Spanish desert:” 
With 2 transitions miles apart, it took some serious logistics to recce the courses. There is no other word than brutal to describe the run course, with some relentless climbing straight out of T2. However the bike course was a lot smoother and faster.

I wasn’t feeling exactly confident on race morning and as a result I had my usual slow swim and (very) poor T1.

On the bike I went quite hard from the start and I was happy to keep pace with some of the better riders. I was eventually dropped on the one big climb of the course, but by then I was reassured that my bike legs were back, and most Importantly, I was enjoying myself! Why do road triathlons when XTERRA’s are so much fun?

As expected the run was a march (literally, as I’d never walked so much In my life on a 10k run!) of hell, quads were on fire and I was In the red pretty much all the way through. This is possibly the toughest run course I have ever done. I was relieved to finish in 10th with a renewed love for the sport.




What is it about the XTERRA series that is so special? 
Although I have done Ironman, my favourite distance has to be the XTERRA format.

I like the intensity of shorter races, with ideally a tough bike course and a fast run. Also, you get to go to places you wouldn’t normally go to such as Spain, Greece and now also, Portugal. As much as I hate travelling through airports with my bike box, there is nothing like riding new trails in far-flung territories.





What kind of tips would you give to a first timer who is tackling XTERRA for the first time? 
Go riding off-road as much as possible, on different types of terrain, dry, muddy, sandy, with roots etc.

Crashes can be good; you learn from each one of them. Perseverance is important, and your technical skills will improve quickly. Also stop running on the road and go wild!



Advice for newcomers to XTERRA Spain: 
Importantly, you have to collate with other triathletes in the days leading up to the race as you will need two cars to recce the bike course. The course is bound to be dry and slippery, so choose your tyres accordingly. Try to save some energy towards the end of the bike as the run is absolutely brutal! And of course, don’t forget to enjoy yourself and have fun!


Follow Cedric on his XTERRA adventures:

http://www.cedriclassonde.com/blog/




ARE YOU READY TO JOIN CEDRIC ON THE BIG XTERRA ADVENTURE?
START RIGHT HERE IN CIEZA, SATURDAY 24TH MAY 2014
ENTER NOW!

THIS IS XTERRA
LIVE MORE / VIVE MAS

No comments:

Post a Comment